Friday, December 24, 2004

And On Christmas Eve...My Brother Is A Moron

So, I was just sitting in the TV room, reading a book, while my brother was watching Sportsnet, and they replayed that clip of Artest losing his mind, and I said "ugh". My brother's response? "What? I think the fan (expletive) deserved it." This was the opening of a dispute between the two of us, which basically comes down to the fact that he believes that if someone calls him a name, he now has full right to beat the crap out of him. I, I'd like to make very clear, do not. I happen to be one of those people that doesn't think violence should ever be the answer, although I understand that sometimes it's the only response available (say, as in self-defense). His rebuttal? "If a guy's pointing a gun at your face, the law says it's okay to kill him." Um, there are conditions to that, and it's only because it's assumed that the guy is trying to kill you. Also? While I don't believe in breaking the law when it comes to violence, I don't think the laws as they are writ are necessarily the best definitions of morality.

His arguments got more infuriating as the discussion went on. And when I told him that no, when someone calls you names, the law does NOT accord you the right to punch them, his response was "Well, I don't agree with the law most of the time. The law is wrong." Then don't use it as part of your supporting argument, idiot. Ugh, I was so angry. That kind of world-view is exactly what modern laws are trying to prevent, and is apparently even more prevalent in our world than I'd previously believed.

So for Christmas, I'm wishing for peace, and happiness for all, as well as for the remaining countries to sign the Kyoto Accord. I'm looking at you, States.

No comments: