Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Leaving, or Being Left

This morning, Girly left for Montreal, where she'll be living, at least for a few years. It's weird, her not being in Vancouver. I mean, she's left before, for months at a time, but this was always "home". Now when she comes here, it'll be a visit. Montreal will be home.

Before she left, I thought "It's not a huge deal; she's only going to be in Montreal. It's not that far. And we can still talk on the phone, and write letters and stuff." And I'm happy for her, because she gets to go to a school that's good at what she loves, and be in a city with a man that she loves, and just as importantly, loves her (Note to The Guy Formerly Known as Mohawk Boy: I'm watching, I'm listening, and you ever give me reason I can find out where you live). And I've had a really great time going to a big University, and I'm excited for her to have that too.

But I realized, hanging out with her all day yesterday, that I'm going to miss her, a lot. There aren't very many friends that you find, with whom you can sit in a room with them for 5 hours straight, talk or not talk, just be, and not get bored. I can think of maybe 3 friends that I have, with whom I can do that. It's not just about the comfort of not having to think about what you say; it's the knowledge that you don't always have to be saying something. And that when you do, if it's stupid, the other person will mock you mercilessly, and all you'll do is laugh because when she says it, it's funny, and not hurtful as it is from people you don't trust so well.

So I am upset, which I think was likely expected by everyone but me. But I know I'll be fine, and so will we. Every time one of us "goes away" for a while, when we finally see each other again it's just like it was before. I don't think you find that in many friends either.

And now I'm crying. Hard, Thanks for moving right while I'm PMSing, Girly.

No comments: