Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Restaurant Review: Bridges

Tonight a friend of mine and I partook of the annual event Dine Out Vancouver. For all y'all that don't know, Dine Out is an event in which different restaurants offer three course meals for a discounted rate. It's done every January, and I presume it's a (clever) marketing ploy, to up numbers in a traditionally slow month, restaurant-wise. Anyhow, it has been a rousing success, on the whole, and I've been happy to enjoy the benefits.

Bridges is on Granville Island, with (according to the website) several different dining areas, most of which seem to be open only during the summer (example: the patio). Their Dine Out menu was mainly westcoast-style cuisine, with a good variety of dishes on offer. Our server was hysterical; he seemed to be under the impression that we were two children playing dress-up in adults clothing, and talked to us as if we were ten years old. Each time he came by, I found myself struggling to keep a straight face.

I had A Bosc Pear with Rocquefort Salad to start, which was quite nicely done; fresh, interesting greens, all of a similar texture, a nice dressing, and the rocquefort had that spicy kick to it I like in a Bleu. My friend had the Sauteed Tiger Prawns, which were also quite nice, however I remember less about them. The presentation of both were lovely, it should noted.

For the entree, I had a Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni (very nice, although the presentation was a bit too edgy for me...cannelloni will never appear geometric, nor should it try), while my friend had the Pan Seared Monkfish, which was also a success. It came on a bed of rice with some vegeteables, and as a whole was great; the flavours blended fantastically.

My dessert was a Citrus Creme Brulee, and I think this was the weakest link in my meal; there was no discernible "citrus", and the creme was far too sweet. It was however "brule'd" very nicely; a crust that snapped when you tapped it, but still paper thin and crucially, never burned. My friend had the Dark Chocolate Semi Freddo, which I didn't try, but she enjoyed it. The entire meal was accompanied with the Sandhill Pinot Gris, which was surprisingly pleasant. The dinner was great, and very improved by the great conversations we had over it. Good food and good company are indeed all you can ask for.

No comments: