Monday, March 12, 2007

The Stars Align (or, how Pretty D50-II came into my life)

Christmas 2005, I became the ecstatic owner of a brand new Nikon D50. I named her Pretty, and Pretty she was.

July 2006, Pretty was stolen in India. I was not pleased, and vowed to replace her with either another D50, or something even prettier.

Soon after, Nikon came out with two new DSLR cameras, the D40 and the D80. The D40 is fun, kicky, light and (relatively) cheap. However, it isn't compatible with my zoom lens. The D80 is bigger, better, but sadly, pricier. Considerably. The D80 could not be mine for many months to come. As a result of the new cameras, D50's were being discontinued "spring/summer 2007". This meant most stores were no longer bringing them in; after all, there was the D40! Or the D80! Buy the new ones! They sparkle! Meanwhile, I kept a close eye on camera reviews and prices. All in all, the D40 and D80 were getting great reviews, much like the D50 had when it first came out.

So, last week I started to research prices and specifications in earnest. Which camera would be best for me? Which could I afford? Finally, what with the D50 being on clearance, I decided that Pretty in her original form was the best fit. So then I needed to find one.

I called every camera store in Vancouver. Kerrisdale, Broadway, Dunne & Rundle. No one had it. Finally, I called Lens & Shutter. They did not have any, but according to the computer there were a couple in Victoria. They would call me back and let me know if it was possible to bring one in.

They didn't call.

Hours later, on my way home, I decided to stop in and at least check to see if any progress had been made. I found a very helpful salesguy (Hi Michael!), who asked just about everyone on the floor if they'd been the one I had spoken with. No one had any idea of my call. So then he decided to look into it, warning me that it may not be possible to bring any in from Victoria, since the shipping cost could negate their profits, what with the clearance rate. Overhearing "D50", a passing sales guy exclaimed that one had just arrived from Victoria for a customer of his, to be picked up on Tuesday. Michael informed me that my chances at an imported camera were looking up, and continued punching away at his computer. Then the manager of the store walked by, asking what we were doing. Michale began to explain my plight ("this young lady is looking for a D50, so I'm looking at Victoria's inventory") when the manager cut him off with "I just took a D50 off the hold shelf a couple of hours ago! If no one's bought it yet, we should have one in the store!" (very jovial man, this manager). I held my breath. Michael asked if the manager had the keys to the storeroom. He did not. Michael went to find the keys. I resumed breathing, out of necessity, which was a good call as it took Michael five minutes to find the keys, and another five to emerge from the storeroom holding my camera in his arms. I whipped out my poor, tired Visa card, and walked out with my pretty pretty D50. In a few moments, the "Picture of the Now" will be one of the first taken by her.

Welcome home, Pretty.

No comments: