Friday, March 02, 2007

Accident Prone

I've never thought of myself as a particularly clumsy person. I don't tend to drop things, or break glasses, and apart from the occasional stubbed toe, am generally quite injury-free. That being said, I'm not a terribly graceful person either. Of the T-Jan friendship, T clearly got all the dancing skill (and years of training), and if I can manage to not look like a total fool next to her, that's just fine.

Today, however, I was walking to the cafe to study, after a training session at the other workplace (and therefore in heels, although they are admittedly only like 1 inch). I was walking along the sidewalk, when suddenly out of nowhere I tripped, on...well, nothing, it seems, and fell. And scraped the crap out of my chin. And mouth. And luckily did not chip any of my teeth, since sidewalks are more tooth-friendly than basketball opponents' foreheads. So I walked into the cafe, looking like I'd just gotten into a fight with some sandpaper, and bleeding slightly, and then tried to clean it all up as best I could. One of the guys working kindly made me an icepack, while the other, who had met me all of once before, for about 3 seconds, just tried not to make it too obvious he thought I was crazy. It's highly likely icepack coworker thought I was crazy too, but he has more evidence to base this on, so for some reason that's better.

Anyhow, J came and met me for lunch, and as she was marveling over my injury, I started to think of all the other strange things that have happened. The aforementioned basketball game (cost: chip out of tooth and toenail), this battle with gravity (cost: skin from chin/lips, pride, and a pair of shoes since I choose to blame the ones I was wearing), two battles with seagulls in my first year at UBC (cost: ability to ever eat outside on campus ever again), slipping in a -clean, thank god- bathroom in india after wearing newly purchased pants (cost: the white toilet seat becoming purple from dye transfer), a mosquito biting me on my lip (cost: my "I don't look like i've had two lips worth of collagen injected into only one lip" appearance). Considering the least recent of these incidents was 6 years ago, and the most recent was 6 hours ago, I think it's fair to say that I am more accident prone than I had thought. Sigh. There's another self-perception that just been downgraded.

No comments: