Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Recap: Serious Philosophical Discussion

So, as I mentioned, last night was L's welcome back party. We started out at the Cambie, the site of many historically significant conversations, and P and I had one of our own. It went something like:
P: So you look like the type that would get in fights a lot. Have you gotten in a lot of fights? (I should add that P is a hilarious guy, with a cute Aussie accent, and we are both joking. JOKING. We don't condone violence, or me getting into fights. Hi mom!)
J-Bird: All the time! It's like I'm a conflict magnet!
P: Really?
J-Bird: No. Actually, I've never been in a fight. Except you know, with my brother, but that doesn't count.
P: You haven't lived if you haven't been in a fight! You know, if you were to get in a fight tonight, I'd have your back. Just let me know who it is we're fighting.
J-Bird: Oh, yeah, well we wouldn't want you to accidentally hurt an innocent bystander.
P: Exactly. So, as it's your first fight, you want to make sure it's someone you feel confident you could beat.
J-Bird: Good point...let's scout for candidates.

Here are the stipulations we came to:
Not L (I felt it would be rude to beat up the guest of honour)
No couples (the other person might step in...always bad news)
No old guys. On the one hand, they have a lot of life experience. Some of it may be in ass-kicking. Also, if I should actually beat one up, they could need a hip replacement or something! Those are not cheap.

However, fitting candidates include:
People who wear berets unironically (and are not mimes or Green Berets)
Guys who wear disconcertingly fitted, looooow-cut vneck shirts (ew).
That dude that kept bumping into me on the dance floor. What, can you not see me standing right next to you???

I didn't actually get in a fight last night, we started dancing to awesome 50's and 60's music at Shine. But next time, my friends. Next time. After all, I haven't lived yet.

No comments: