Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Book Reviews

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
Synopsis can be found here

It was alright. I have to say, I don't see what all the fuss was about; I enjoyed it, sort of, but it wasn't a book that made me delay sleep so I could finish it. I couldn't really get into it, and none of the characters really captivated me. Of course, it may have been spoiled for me by a) the movie, or b) the fact that I was trying to read it after not sleeping for ever 36 hours.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Ann Brashares
Synopsis can be found here

Now this book I (unexpectedly) really liked. I got it for Mexico, because I'd seen the preview for the movie and it looked sufficiently inane for holiday reading. As a result of my incredibly low expectations, I was very pleasantly surprised upon finding it to be well-written, interesting, and actually kind of realistic in its portrayal of teenagers (not of some of the events, however, but I can overlook that). After I read it, three of my traveling buddies read it, and all enjoyed it. It definitely kicked the other "sisterhood" book's ass (ie the one reviewed above).

The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett
Synopsis can be found here

Love Terry Pratchett's books, and this one was no exception. Just got it from Girly (thanks!), and read it today, and as ever, he did not disappoint. It's a Discworld book, but geared at a younger audience, much like The Amazing Maurice and Hid Intelligent Rodents. If you like Pratchett's sense of humour, I recommend it highly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tessa and I just read "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" (like you, because of the preview for the movie) and quite enjoyed it too. It seems to be a trend with me, that I'm only tempted to read books after seeing that they're going to turned into movies. That might be kinda sad, but at least I'm reading, right?