Friday, February 17, 2006

Paid!

I bought my plane ticket yesterday. Asia, here I come! In a few months. Which is good, because now I need to earn some money so I can afford to be in Asia. But whooo! Now I can start the planning in earnest! I currently have about 6 tour books, and I got some of those little post-it tabby things, so I can make a note of things that I want to see/could be important. Thus far, I've only really decided that I'm going to skip Varanasi; holy city though it may be, the stories I've heard about the creepiness of the men there has put me off. Plus, there's so much else to see, why bother?

And, slightly related to the post title, my mom and I watched Oprah today, about her new "Debt Diet", which...seems to be sorely needed. 70% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck? I was surprised, and I was expecting a high number. It can't be much lower here in Canada, either. The three families that were the focus on the show were astounding. $7000 a year on hair? $100 a day on takeout food? I know it happens, hell I've been cutting back on food spending at school, because it's so expensive, but one hundred dollars a day is insane. The whole thing got me a little scared about my finances, and I don't have problems (knock on wood).

It just amazes me that we can get so wrapped up in looking like we have money. If you don't have money, trust me, buying a new car is not the way to get it. Even less the way to get it? Buying your kid a new car. A teenager doesn't need a brand new car, get a used one! I don't know if my first car will be new, and I'm 22!

The sad thing is, I think all of us are at least a little guilty. I mean, I've been going to starbucks a bit lately. The bad part is that I got so many of their gift cards that it seems like liquid money. And then you get in the habit of going...Yep, starbucks and food out are going to be my date diet. I'm pretty sure I can live without 'em, though.

No comments: