Monday, February 06, 2006

Restaurant Review: Banana Leaf

Banana Leaf Malaysian Restaurant - West Broadway Location

I went with Peek and T for an early dinner a couple of weeks back, and have to say, I was very impressed. It moved ito the location cleared by a restaurant my family loved, and while it redecorated a little, it didn't do too much, which is great because that place has an amazing internal structure.

As for the food, I had spring rolls (not bad) and coconut rice, which was exceptional, if a bit bland on it's own (which I should note is not how it's meant to be eaten. That was my decision, not the server's suggestion). Coconut rice in this case was like the Malaysian version of sticky rice at dimsum, but with less in it, and wrapped in a banana leaf. T and Peek had things that I could never hope to remember the names of, but trust me, they were good. I can't claim that Banana Leaf is super cheap, but it's definitely worth a visit.

3 comments:

Evi said...

their chicken satay is to die for!! the first time i was there i wasn't that impressed (that was the 1st location) because i ordered something that turned out to have brine shrimp in it...but everything else gets an A from me.

Anonymous said...

there are 2 west broadway locations: one between oak & cambie, one between macdonald & alma

J-Bird said...

My bad. I was at the one between MacDonald and Alma (I think it's at Bayswater).