Monday, February 28, 2005

Whirlwind Weekend

This'll be a long one, folks.

Friday night was anchorsplash, a swimming competition with all proceeds going to charity, put on by another sorority. I went to cheer the aquatic girls on, and we won, and placed second, which was very impressive. Part of it was a synchro competition, which we also won handily. If only I could swim pretty. Sigh.
It was a lot of fun, although I didn't go out afterwards, as I had to work in the morning, and wanted to go out Saturday night.

Saturday night had a rocky start, with me getting a deeply unpleasant phone call that left me in tears, and then having ten minutes to get myself together enough to go out. I briefly considered not going out, but decided sitting at home would be exactly what I didn't need. Anyhow, I went out with a friend, her boyfriend, and a bunch of people I'd never met before. We went to Crush, a club on Granville. I'd never been before, and it was a little different from clubs I'd been to in the past. There're couches everywhere, it's brighter and more constantly lit (no flashing lights, no strobes), which i enjoyed. Less enjoyably, it has a dance floor the size of a sedan. Anyway, I spent the night talking with the group, and in addition to losing my voice by the end of the night, had a great time. It was definitely exactly what I needed after the horrible beginning to the night. I got home at around 3 am, and promptly passed out until my alarm went off.

At 7 am. Yep, had to get up for work. Work was insanely busy yesterday, with people lined up for 5 hours straight. My voice was not thanking me for the money made; it launched a strike after around 2. Luckily, we closed at 4, so I wasn't the voiceless server for too long.

And after work, it was Oscar night! I went to Tessa's, for a lovely evening of snarking and snacking. In the snarking vein, I am not nearly as enamoured with Hilary Swank as the Academy seems to be, nor do I think her dress was "daring" or "elegant". In fact, there really wasn't a single dress all night that made me "wow" an actress. I think the most gorgeous red carpet look I saw this year was Oprah's makeover of a chicken farmer. Also, Beyonce? Shut UP. Not only did you succesfully wear three hideous outfits during one event, but you managed to perform a song so badly that everyone I was with simultaneously thought "Dammit, they couldn't get Celine?" I don't think I've heard such an awful "French" accent in my life.

The Oscars were quite short, thank god. I was in bed and asleep by 10:15. Amazing how tired you can get on 4 hours sleep. So that was my weekend. And now begings the week.

No comments: