Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Young Are Scary

So I was walking to the bus yesterday, when I spied a pair of girls walking down the street, dressed in the all too popular style of "highschool skankanista". It's a look that's been disturbingly prominent lately; while I find it sketchy enough that girls my age dress like that, one of the girls apparently got cold (big surprise), and pulled on a "Grad 2005" hoodie. My reaction? "Well, at least they're in Grade 12, it's not some 14 year old", which is in itself a sign of how bad it's gotten. Then I saw the letters on top of the "05". They were "QE". That's an elementary school. These girls were at the oldest, thirteen, walking around showing thongs, tummies and "cleavage".

What in the world is wrong with our society, that 13 year olds girls are dressing like it's 40 celsius out, and are starving their rake-thin bodies for fear of being fat? When did girls in elementary school start dressing like that? When I was their age I didn't even know that kind of clothing existed, and that really wasn't that long ago. What happened to being a kid? When I was that age, I ate the lunch my mom packed me, and played square ball and tag. And that was about the only thing that didn't set me apart from the other girls in the class. These girls were going to buy lunch five blocks from their school, and were discussing how hot Ryan from The OC is. The young are scary, and somehow, our society made them that way.

No comments: