Saturday, January 28, 2006

Happy New Year!!!

I had a very Chinese New year day today; Celeste and I went to Aberdeen Centre, and basked in the glorious New Year celebrations. We visited Daiso (everything only $2!), which was even more fun than you can imagine. From the frivolity of cupcake holders with chess pieces on them, to the necessity of stationary with "Happy Circus!" all over it, this place has everything. Including my new favourite beverage, Peach Water. We wandered the store for well over an hour, oohing and aahing over the merchandise. It was beautiful, and I just now have realized the deprivation I've been living in.

After Daiso, we though we'd explore the mall a bit more, but got sidetracked 50 paces along the path by Dragon's Beard Candy, which was being made right there. If you ever get a chance to see this process, stop and watch; celeste and I stood, in fascinated silence, as the candymaker turned a lump of sugar into thousands and thousands of tiny strands.

After buying some of the candy (we definitely had to eat some, after seeing it be made), we left the mall, and after some initial car trouble, got home. My mom had made an incredible New Year's feast, including fish, hot pot, stuffed tofu puffs, and of course rice. After dinner we had tea, and the dragon's beard candy, which, as it turns out, is excellent. Crispy and sweet and light.

And now I am incredibly full. So, so full.

Happy New Year! May you have a wonderful year of the dog!

No comments: