Tuesday, December 06, 2005

You Can Tell I've Had a Big Day When...

Right now, as I type, the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is on TV. Anyone familiar with the geography of my house knows that since I'm writing this, I'm also not watching. Granted, I could probably watch it in the interests of research for the hot underwear I need to buy in the next 998 days or so. However, there are far more efficient ways to peruse underwear, and they don't involve hours on end of way too thin models walking (or, from what I've heard of past shows, floating on wires) down the runway. And god knows that the items being sashayed down the catwalk cost more than I'm willing to pay.

IToday I managed to read two chapters of clinical psychology, and two of memory. The clinical psychology book is awfully written. It's not just that it's boring; boring is somewhat expected in a textbook. It's the amazing violations of the rules of the English language that I find so irritating. Some sentences are so bad that I wonder if the editor was even fluent in English. I don't think it's too much to ask that an academic text be written in proper English, but it would seem this is just me.

In contrast, the "text" for my memory psychology class is really interesting; It's titled Searching for Memory, by Daniel Schacter, and is written in more of a "popular non-fiction" than academic format. It helps that I love this class, of course. But seriously, go read this book. There's some crazy stuff our brains will do. Also, this book? Completely grammatical!

No comments: