Thursday, August 26, 2004

I Have a Confession to Make...

I love Oprah. And Oprah, the lady. Cliched, I know, but I really really do. Every episode seems to be entirely captivating, and there's a perfect mix of celebrity celebration, real-world issues, and random irrelevancies, such as makeovers and 'Oprah's favourite things that you'll never be able to afford, but that she'll give to every member of the audience, making you emit ultraviolet rays due to jealousy'. She's an amazing advocate for reading, something that I think everyone should do more of, and she seems to genuinely try to make the world a better place, something I think everyone, especially those with money and power, should try out.

This morning, I watched a rerun of yesterday's rerun (circuitous, I know, but bear with me), featuring 'The Celebrity Spouse Challenge'. It featured couples of varying levels of celebrity challenging each other to complete tasks which we are told were heretofore unknown to them. For example in one segment, Finola Hughes was made to camp one night in her backyard. This was an eye-opener to me; I don't think I've ever seen someone so completely unsuited to the outdoors. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Vancouver, where camping is mandatory for a child, but that shocked me. I mean, she was miserable. In her backyard. This isn't a trip to Antarctica. Which was probably a good thing, as that would have really damaged her Louis Vuitton bag.

In another, Clint Black, who we were told is a Country star (To any Clint Black fans; I do not mean to malign your singer in any way, I simply am not a lover of the country genre, and therefore have very little knowledge of musicians of said genre) was challenged to go grocery shopping with his daughter, who I think is about 3. It was hilarious. I'd like to congratulate the editors, who had to go through 3 hours of footage (that's how long it took him to shop), and put together a very funny montage. My favourite part was when he asked for 'some sort of ground fish thing?'

Yep, I love me some Oprah. But it scares me a little that she can sell more books by reading them than most writers can by writing them.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Nothing wrong with loving Oprah. That woman is amazing.

Dr. Phil on the other hand.

Evi said...

I love Oprah too...I thought I was the only one, but it's nice to know that I am not alone on this. I don't watch anymore though cause we don't get any channels on our TV. I liked her, make your dreams come true show a while back. Oprah is just cool, and I am never impressed with people who dis her because she makes the world a better place (partly by cramming a whole lotta women into her studio...probably going to see one show puts all the women on the same menstual cycle!