Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Way to Inspire a Sense of Safety.

I went downtown today, for a meeting with the author of the book I'm editing. I was walking to the office from the bus stop, and I saw all these firetrucks, police cars and ambulances. There were at least 10 of them total. I thought it was kind of odd, especially since I couldn't see anything that was obviously out of place (other than the trucks). Turns out the building had to be evacuated, because a bunch of people got sick from something in the air, which is pretty disconcerting. What's more disconcerting is that the Haz-Mat team's speaker has told the media that 'the substance has dissipated into the air, and we are not able to identify it, nor pinpoint it's origin'. Not inspiring a lot of confidence in me, guys. I mean, I do understand the difficulties in figuring the stuff out (those years of chemistry weren't totally wasted), but still, you'd think they'd be a little more advanced. On the other hand, in the States they'd probably just say that they wouldn't rest until they got to the bottom of it, and keep saying that until everyone got bored or forgot about it.

No comments: