Saturday, September 18, 2004

Oddities

I went to Girly's house last nightm and on the way, a number of weird things happened/were observed. Here's a bit of a list.

1. On the bus, an unkempt, middle aged (UMA) man standing next to me kept trying to catch my eye. As I was kind of put off by his persistent regard, I tried my best to ignore him. After about 3 minutes, he forcefully poked me, and asked me if I was 'from Taiwan' (for those of you who don't know, no I am not. My mother is from Taiwan, while my father is as white as wonderbread. I'm from Toronto, birth-wise). At this point, the lady next to me (from Holland) decided to ask me for directions to every destination she planned on visiting on her two-week stay here (she was however quite charming, so it wasn't odd in an uncomfortable way, just unexpected), which had the bonus of giving me an excuse to not talk with UMA guy (I'm kind of a bitch, aren't I?). Then another guy on the bus asked me where the hostel was. As a result of all this, when the bus got to my stop, three perfect strangers said "So nice talking to you!" as I walked off. I'm thinking the universe may be trying to tell me to pursue a career in tourism.

2. While walking from the bus stop to Girly's house, random people I'd never before seen kept smiling at me. A couple of them even waved. Maybe this is normal for other people, but that never really happens to me, so...weird.

3. Normally, if walking down Robson St. in Vancouver, you'll see all the bikers sitting in one of the Starbucks' on Thurlow (yeah, there're two on the same corner. Welcome to Vancouver). Today, they were parked outside of Buffalo. The jeans store. And all sitting outside the store, just...hanging. I'm still confused.

4. There's a little plaze-type thing near Girly's house, that's a no-car zone (which is pretty obvious). As I'm walking through, some guy drives through the thing. Someone needs a refresher on his street-signs.

Anyway, it was an odd day. God, I'm tired.

No comments: