Sunday, September 12, 2004

Revitalize by Water

Sleep is a wonderful, beautiful thing. I'm not really feeling any more healthy than I was last night, but I no longer feel like my head wants to implode, which is a big step forward.

I woke up at eight this morning, and couldn't fall back asleep. Since I have tons to do this morning (recruitment starts today, ack!), I got up and treated myself to a long hot shower.

I'm sure everyone has their own little rituals for the perfect shower. Some of you may even involve things like candles and incense. My bathroom isn't really big enough to safely accommodate flame, so I'm a little limited in that sense, but it's still a huge indulgence for me. There're a few improvements I can think of, like better lighting in the shower. It's kinda dark in there. And a stereo, so that I can have pretty music playing. Maybe candle-capability. But all in all, it's quite perfect, and for a half hour of relaxation that I don't even have to leave the house for, it can't be beat. It's my form of meditation, I think.

I'd like to note that I don't do this every time I have a shower. Generally, my showers are of a more mundane, speedy nature. This type of shower is a luxury, for when I'm stressed out or upset, or occassionally when I have the time and feel like treating myself. I don't plan on ever doing this for every shower. For one thing, it would use far too much water to be reasonable.

Before anything else, I turn on a little electric space heater and shut the door, so that the bathroom isn't cold at all, even for the beginning of the shower. I go get my huge fluffy pink towel (it's 6 feet long, 4 feet wide. It is so fantastic, it deserves a title. I'll think of one soon.) and my slightly smaller (but thinner and therefore lighter) hair towel. I get my comb, my body wash, and my big loofah, and then enter the heated bathroom.

I then shower in perfect (perfect) temperature water. Not hot, but more than warm. I wash my hair first, really thoroughly, kinda like they do in hair salons, except without the benefit of having someone else (who is professionally trained) do it for you. When I've rinsed my hair out (which used to take way longer, before the culling of the bottom 10 inches) I soap up the loofah, and go through an incredibly long massage/exfoliation session. It's bliss. So much so that I never ever want to leave. However, I generally have other plans for the rest of the day, so eventually I will force myself out of the shower, out of the bathroom, out of my tiny, perfect little world.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

My relaxation routine involves my giant bathtub, an eye mask, a face mask, bubble bath, scalding water and lots of candles. Simply wonderful.

Anyhoo, hope that recruitment goes well and we'll hang out once you're less busy. Have a wonderful day/week!

Anonymous said...

My luxury is not taking a shower. As far as I'm concerned, scrubbing and pumicing and shaving and lathering is work, and I usually have to stay up late to do it, because that's when I can make time. Sometimes, though, I just give up and don't bother. If it's a dry-ish day, sometimes I come home from rugby and put my pyjamas on over the dirt and read or watch TV for a while and then go to bed dirty but early. Being exhausted and going to bed early rates higher for me than bathing and going to bed clean.
In the summer, though, I do like those quick rinse-off showers, where the water can be cool and you don't get too cold and the bathroom doesn't get foggy and you dry off really fast.
And those are my thoughts on showers.

Amanda