Tuesday, October 12, 2004

What The Reeves Taught Me

Christopher Reeve passed away on Sunday. It's sad, having someone so iconic, someone who's remained so iconic after so much, pass away. I'll mention that he was a relentless fighter in the battle for stem cell research, and that without him, many programs would never have been started, or given the funding to be completed, but that isn't what I really want to talk about. What I want to talk about is his marriage.

His wife, Dana, stuck with him through it all. And while I believe the 'til death do us part' is the essence of what the love in a marriage should be, that doesn't make what she did any less admirable. In interviews all down the years, it was very clear through body language and how they spoke that this was a couple very much in love. More in love than many. For one partner, after a horrible accident that has permanently damaged their love's body, to say 'it's still you, and I love you', is amazing. To follow through on it is incredible. Because yes, I do believe that that is as it should be in all partnerships, but I know enough not to believe that most are like this. But they did have this; not once was there the air of a martyr in her, nothe spirit of one pitied in him. Their love was still pure, even after a horrible accident.

That's the kind of love I want. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't expect so much from love, but I do. I guess it's just nice to know that it can and does exist. I know that demanding that from love carries some risks, not the least of which being me ending up alone; after all, how many guys are there out there looking for the same thing? But I'd rather be alone, I think, than be in a lesser relationship. I'd always be looking for more. The good news is, I know now that I can love like that. I just need to find someone who can love back the same way.

1 comment:

Evi said...

I don't have doubts that you will find him, seeing as you are sure of your own ability to love in that way.